Luke 7:29-30 ASV
(29) And all the people when they heard, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John.
(30) But the Pharisees and the lawyers rejected for themselves the counsel of God, being not baptized of him.
Baptism was done in a river, not by sprinkling water. Baptism is necessary for salvation. Sprinkling water on someone is not baptism. Even Jesus was baptized by immersion even though He is without sin.
Matthew 3:13-17 ASV
(13) Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to the Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
(14) But John would have hindered him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
(15) But Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffereth him.
(16) And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway from the water: and lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon him;
(17) and lo, a voice out of the heavens, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
I baptized you in water; but he shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit. Mark 1:8 ASV
for John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized in the Holy Spirit not many days hence. Acts 1:5 ASV
And Peter said unto them, Repent ye, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ unto the remission of your sins; and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38 ASV
Can any man forbid the water, that these should not be baptized, who have received the Holy Spirit as well as we? Acts 10:47 ASV
And I remembered the word of the Lord, how he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized in the Holy Spirit. Acts 11:16 ASV
FIRST, BAPTISM BY THE HOLY BELIEVER (not by a disguised messenger of Satan) IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THE PROMISED HOLY SPIRIT
Acts 19:1-10 ASV
(1) And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper country came to Ephesus, and found certain disciples:
(2) and he said unto them, Did ye receive the Holy Spirit when ye believed? And they said unto him, Nay, we did not so much as hear whether the Holy Spirit was given.
(3) And he said, Into what then were ye baptized? And they said, Into John's baptism.
(4) And Paul said, John baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people that they should believe on him that should come after him, that is, on Jesus.
(5) And when they heard this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.
(6) And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
(7) And they were in all about twelve men.
(8) And he entered into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of three months, reasoning and persuading as to the things concerning the kingdom of God.
(9) But when some were hardened and disobedient, speaking evil of the Way before the multitude, he departed from them, and separated the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus.
(10) And this continued for the space of two years; so that all they that dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord, both Jews and Greeks.